The Guild Guitar Story
The history of Guild Guitars is the story of a great American tradition in the art of guitar manufacturing. It's a story rich in people and personalities, instruments and artists, triumphs and tragedies. But more than anything else, it is the story of a 45-year-old commitment to quality craftsmanship, superior value and guitars that are made to be played.
The Guild Guitar line was founded as a quality alternative to the Gibson-Epiphone merger. Alfred Dronge, a professional guitarist and music store owner, and George Mann, a one-time Epiphone exec, formed a partnership and registered the Guild name in October of 1952.
The partners set up shop in a 1500-square-foot New York City loft in the midst of two very important communities: the community of experienced craftsmen from the nearby Epiphone and Gretsch factories and the community of big-time jazz session guitarists performing and recording in New York.
Read more about Guild guitars here.